In March 2017 Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) sold a record breaking 31,767 vehicles in the UK – that’s a 26% increase on 2016 – meaning that a new JLR vehicle was registered every 30 seconds.
- Jaguar sales were up 68% to 9,484 with Land Rover achieving 22,283 sales, up by 14%.
- Discovery Sport has overtaken the Range Rover Evoque as the fastest-selling Land Rover of all time in the UK, retailing 7,239 vehicles in March.
- While gaining critical acclaim with more than 40 awards in its first year, the F-PACE 4×4 SUV continues its impressive start as the fastest-selling Jaguar ever. The World Car of the Year finalist retailed 2,879 vehicles in March.
- The latest generation all-new Discovery enjoyed an impressive first full-month of sales with its versatile package and abundance of new technology, making it the vehicle of choice for 3,284 UK buyers.
Commenting on the performance, Jaguar Land Rover’s UK Managing Director Jeremy Hicks said:-
“After a record breaking 2016 and start to 2017 we are continuing our momentum with these March figures. In the midst of the current uncertain economic climate it shows that the Jaguar and Land Rover brands are stronger than ever here in the UK.
New products are driving this success, with both brands now offering a range of vehicles that suit the lifestyles and appeal to more buyers than ever before. We are no longer an attractive alternative but a serious rival to our established competitors. With new models on their way throughout 2017 this momentum looks set to continue.”
Momentum will continue with the impending arrival of the fourth member of the Range Rover family, the Range Rover Velar, which is available to order now.
JLR fact ‘n’ figures
- Jaguar Land Rover is Britain’s largest automotive manufacturer, with the company’s three UK manufacturing plants breaking the 544,000 production milestone in 2016.
- Over the past six years, Jaguar Land Rover has doubled sales and employment, more than tripled turnover, and invested more than £15 billion in new product creation and capital expenditure.
- With a balanced regional distribution of sales, in 2016 Jaguar Land Rover sold more than 583,000 vehicles, up 20% on the previous year. Of the total, Jaguar sold 148,730 vehicles and Land Rover sold 434,583 vehicles.
- Jaguar Land Rover is one of the UK’s largest exporters and generates around 80% of its revenue from exports.
- Jaguar Land Rover is the UK’s largest automotive sector employer, employing over 40,000 people in the UK, including 2,500 apprentices and graduates, as well as supporting around 275,000 additional UK jobs through its dealerships, suppliers and local businesses.
- Note: the above reported figures relate to the volume of UK retail sales. These may differ from the SMMT’s passenger car registration figures.